"This Was Andersonville" by John McElroy
This beautifully-bound and illustrated edition of John McElroy's "This Was Andersonville", edited with an Introduction by Roy Meredith, is the perfect gift for collectors of Americana, as well as for students of the Civil War.
John McElroy, a former journalist for the Toledo Blade, was in the first contingent of Union Army prisoners sent to Andersonville, a Confederate prisoner-of-war camp in Georgia during the final twelve months of the Civil War. His story of attempts at escape, of comrades tracked through cypress swamps by packs of vicious dogs, and of the everyday struggle just to stay alive, is one of the greatest stories of the Civil War. This volume features 24 full-page drawings, along with 25 pages of rare photographs, many of which were printed for the first time in this publication.
- Title: "This Was Andersonville"
- Author: John McElroy
- Editor: Roy Meredith
- Illustrator: Arthur Meredith, Jr.
- Publisher: The Fairfax Press
- Year of Publication: 1979
- Condition: This item is in vintage condition and is being sold as as-is. Due to age, please expect some minor imperfections.